With Taylor Heinicke and Kyle Allen not being able to clear protocol, the starting quarterback for tonight’s game is going to be Garrett Gilbert.
Here are five things you should know about Washington’s starting quarterback for this week:
1. Gilbert was signed last week off of the New England Patriots practice squad. He played his college ball at Texas and SMU.
2. He has 1 career start, which came last year for the Dallas Cowboys. In the game he went 21 for 38 for 243 yards, 1 touchdown and 1 interception. The Cowboys led the game 19-9 heading into the 4th quarter, but ultimately lost 24-19.
3. His father, Gale Gilbert, played in the NFL from 1985-1995. He threw his last NFL pass for the Chargers in 1995 and was the college teammate of Ron Rivera at Cal.
2. He spent 2018 with the Carolina Panthers, so he has familiarity with the offense.
1. He would’ve likely been named the AAF MVP had the Alliance of American Football finished its season in 2018. He threw for 2,152 yards, 13 touchdowns, and 3 interceptions in the partial season under Steve Spurrier, going a league-best 7-1.