Per Montgomery County:
For Immediate Release: Friday, August 26, 2022
“Launchpads,” which are tablets designed specifically for children from preschool age through sixth grade, are now being loaned through a new program of Montgomery County Public Libraries (MCPL). The program will have four County libraries loaning the pre-loaded tablets that are only available through public libraries and do not require Wi-Fi or internet.
Launchpads are populated with carefully chosen content of various themes including educational apps, games, videos, stories and activities focusing on specific topics.
Launchpads will be available from the MCPL branches of Long Branch, Maggie Nightingale, Marilyn Praisnerand White Oak. Customers can place holds on the Launchpads to have them transferred to their closest MCPL branch for pick up.
The content available is:
- “Early Literacy” for emerging readers.
- “Language Learning” for an introduction to languages and cultures.
- “Math” from fundamentals through elementary skills.
- “Pre-K Academy” to help children prepare for kindergarten.
- “Reading Academy” to help children with verbal, reading, comprehension and writing skills.
- “STEAM Academy” to help children become problem solvers and make connections between their everyday world and science, technology, engineering, art and math concepts
In addition to the benefits of the curated activities, using the tablets will help children learn, practice and improve their digital literacy skills—a key component of a 21st Century education.
Customers can borrow up to five Launchpads at a time, complete with charging cable.
Launchpads can be checked out with a library card for a three-week lending period. They can be returned to any branch in person or in the book drop. If there is not a waitlist, Launchpads can be renewed a maximum of three times.
For a complete listing and descriptions of all the Launchpads, and to check availability or place a hold, consult MCPL’s online catalog.
Montgomery County is the eighth county in Maryland to participate in the Launchpad program.
For more information about the program, contact Rachel Rappaport at firstname.lastname@example.org.