Per Montgomery County: Montgomery County will hold a free flu vaccination clinic for children and adults from 10:30 a.m.-5:45 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 17, at the Dennis Avenue Health Center, located at 2000 Dennis Ave. in Silver Spring. Adults and children ages six months and older are eligible to receive vaccinations at the clinic. COVID-19 vaccinations and testing also will be available. The vaccination clinic is free. Appointments are required.
An annual flu shot has been shown to reduce the risk of flu illness, hospitalization and death. While Montgomery County has likely passed “peak” flu season and cases are currently declining, health officials still recommend vaccinations as the best way to prevent the spread of seasonal flu. In addition to vaccination, good health habits can help stop the spread of germs and prevent illnesses like the flu.
Good health habits include:
- Cover coughs or sneezes with a tissue, then throw the tissue away. Or cough or sneeze into the inside of the elbow.
- Wash hands often with soap and water, especially after coughing or sneezing and before eating. Alcohol hand sanitizer (minimum 60 percent alcohol) will help if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching the eyes, nose or mouth. These are places germs can enter the body easily.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick. When sick, keep your distance from others to protect them from getting sick.
- Monitor yourself and family members for symptoms of fever which include chills, headache, sore throat, cough, body aches and vomiting or diarrhea.
- If you are sick, stay home from work, school or other public places until you are feeling well.
See the County’s flu website for more information and to make an appointment. Flu vaccinations also are available through private health providers and at retail locations throughout the community. Find other locations to receive a flu vaccination at vaccines.gov.