Montgomery Parks announces Fourth of July operating hours, including extending its Open Parkways through Tuesday, July 5, at 7 a.m. for the holiday weekend, except for the portion of Little Falls Parkway which is closed to pedestrians and bikers for a traffic study.
Open Parkways Schedule
The Open Parkways schedule will be extended for the holiday until 7 a.m., Tuesday, July 5, 2022.
Portions of Sligo Creek Parkway and Beach Drive will be open to pedestrians and bicyclists for exercise and recreation.
Open to pedestrians and bicyclists (closed to motor vehicles), from Friday, July 1, at 9 a.m., to Tuesday, July 5, at 7 a.m.
- Sligo Creek Parkway
- Old Carroll Avenue to Piney Branch Road (1.1 miles)
- Forest Glen Road to University Boulevard West (1.5 miles)
- Beach Drive from Connecticut Avenue to Knowles Avenue (2.7 miles)
The Open Parkways program on Little Falls Parkway is suspended while a traffic study is underway for that portion of the parkway.
Fourth of July Holiday Weekend Facility Operating Hours
The following is a sampling of facilities that are open during the holiday weekend.
- Parks, trails, gardens, playgrounds, dog parks, skate parks, outdoor exercise stations, and outdoor tennis/pickleball and basketball courts* are open daily from sunrise to sunset. (*Select outdoor courts are available for rental.)
- The in-line hockey rink at Ridge Road Recreational Park and street hockey/futsal rink at Dewey Local Park may be permitted, or are available first-come, first serve if not reserved.
- Picnic shelters and campfire rings are available for rental at several locations.
- Little Bennett Campground
- Cabin John Miniature Train and Wheaton Miniature Train and Carousel
- South Germantown Driving Range
- Brookside Gardens grounds open daily from sunrise to sunset, Visitor Center open daily 9 a.m. –5 p.m., Conservatory open daily 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Josiah Henson Museum and Park, Friday and Sunday, 10 a.m.– 4 p.m. Park open sunrise to sunset.
- Woodlawn Manor Cultural Park Museum & Visitor Center, Friday and Saturday, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., Sunday 12 – 4 p.m. Park open sunrise to sunset.
The South Germantown SplashPark & Mini-Golf: open 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. daily (closed Mondays).
Kayak, canoe, rowboats, and pedal boat rentals at Lake Needwood in Rock Creek Regional Park and Little Seneca Lake in Black Hill Regional Park: Lake Needwood, Saturday and Sunday, 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.; Little Seneca Lake, Thursday to Sunday, 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
The following facilities will be CLOSED on Monday, July 4, 2022
- Montgomery Parks Headquarters and Permits Office
- Montgomery Parks Customer Service Office
- Pauline Betz Addie and Wheaton Indoor
- Cabin John Ice Rink and Wheaton Ice Arena
- Indoor nature facilities – Brookside Nature Center, Locust Grove Nature Center, Black Hill Visitor Center. Trails and outdoor nature play areas remain open from sunrise to sunset.
- Meadowside Nature Center is closed for building renovations.
Need a jump-start on your weekend planning? Visit the Parks Picks blog for a weekly list of fun things to do or see in Montgomery Parks.
About Montgomery Parks
Montgomery Parks manages more than 37,000 acres of parkland, consisting of 420 parks. Montgomery Parks is a department of The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC), a bi-county agency established in 1927 to steward public land. M-NCPPC has been nationally recognized for its high-quality parks and recreation services and is regarded as a national model by other parks systems. www.MontgomeryParks.org