We’ve all heard of New York and Chicago style pizza, but we have our own style of pizza here in Maryland.
According to the Washingtonian magazine, Maryland style Pizza is rectangular in shape, has a biscuity crust, a sweet tomato sauce, and uses smoked provolone cheese.
This all began when Ledo Pizza opened their first restaurant in 1955 in Adelphi, Maryland (Prince George’s County, pictured below).
The circular pizza pans were relatively new when the first restaurant opened…so they went with the rectangular pans and ended up sticking with what was working.
Many of the best pizza spots in the area (Stained Glass Pub, Continental, Gentleman Jim’s, 4 Corners Pub, etc.) have carried on the rectangular pizza tradition that was inspired by Ledo Pizza and the first form of Gentleman Jim’s– the Cavalier Restaurant in D.C, which was owned by “Gentleman” Jim Hance after it moved to Twinbrook and became the first Gentleman Jim’s (Gentleman Jim’s traditionally uses Swiss, but can make your pizza with provolone or mozzarella too).
The original Ledo Restaurant closed in July 2010, but relocated a month later to downtown College Park (Knox Road). It recently closed and reopened as a Ledo Pizza restaurant. The Ledo Pizza chain has expanded to include over 100 restaurants in Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, South Carolina, and Florida.