Montgomery County Public Schools sent out the following community message on Monday, June 6:
Dear MCPS Community,
On Jan. 21, 2022, a tragic shooting incident at Col. Zadok Magruder High School left one student seriously injured. This was a terrible event and spurred conversations on what can be done to ensure the safety of all staff and students.
As required by Maryland state law, Montgomery County Public Schools (MCPS) submitted a required “After-Action” report of the Jan. 21 shooting incident to the Maryland Center for School Safety. The center has reviewed the report and is making it available to members of the media by request. We provide that report to you here so that our community has a full understanding of what happened and what is being done to implement lessons learned.
Highlights of the report include:
- MCPS staff reacted immediately by calling 911 and also provided critical life-saving measures that contributed to saving the victim’s life.
- Police response was quick and thorough, including an immediate response by the assigned Community Engagement Officer.
- Police and MCPS will collaborate on training for all staff making and taking 911 calls to ensure specific information is shared.
- Since the incident, MCPS administrators, central office staff, senior leadership and school security staff have received training that will improve coordination between MCPS and emergency responders.
- Methods for communications during incidents will be enhanced to ensure staff receives critical updates during a lockdown.
- MCPS and the Montgomery County Police Department will work together to ensure emergency responders have quick access to locked school buildings.
Although each incident is unique and what has been learned following this event will improve readiness for the future, it remains true that the robust relationship between MCPS and all Montgomery police agencies is foundational to safety in our schools. There is a new agreement that guides our Community Engagement Officer program and training is occurring to strengthen how staff collaborates in times of crisis. We are thankful to have a community in which all of us are ready to partner for safety in an environment that allows for excellence in teaching and learning in our schools.
Montgomery County Public Schools
Per MCPD: “A 16-year-old from Gaithersburg has been arrested in possession of a stolen vehicle with a loaded firearm.
The Fillmore Silver Spring has just announced that actor/comedian Pete Davidson will be performing at the venue in less than two weeks.
According to the Montgomery County State’s Attorney’s Office, “In the Circuit Court for Montgomery County, MD, the Honorable John Maloney has sentenced defendant, Scorpio Alexander Stanfield, 33, of unknown address,…
From the Office of Councilmember Dawn Luedtke: “Bill would help individuals in crisis by coordinating Montgomery County Department of Health and Human Services and Montgomery County Police Department responses