Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Services (MCFRS) responded to a fire in the 3700blk of Kayson St, off Connecticut Avenue, in Wheaton-Glenmont on Tuesday around 11am. According to Chief Spokesperson for MCFRS Pete Piringer, the fire involved two sheds and an aviary shelter/coop. It was originally reported that all animals had escaped unharmed, but we now know that several chickens perished in the fire. The majority of the flock migrated to an attached ‘run’ area. Damage is estimated to be ~$5,000 . Investigators believe the fire began when a lamp fell to floor and ignited bedding materials (for fowls).
Update – R/O Kayson St, coop had a heat lamp hanging from ceiling above area most damaged; Investigators believe a lamp fell to floor, ignited bedding materials (for fowls); Unfortunately several chickens perished in the fire, but majority of flock migrated to attached ‘run’ area https://t.co/J8f2f95x2E pic.twitter.com/KgnLp4rBb3
— Pete Piringer (@mcfrsPIO) January 24, 2023