A winter weather advisory has been issued for Northwest MoCo. This generally includes areas beginning at Germantown and points north/west (Clarksburg, Damascus, Poolesville, etc.).
Central/SE MoCo is not currently included in the advisory, as a little less precipitation is expected (see maps below). I fully expect all of MoCo and most of the DC Metro area to be included in the advisory later this morning.
A change from rain to snow is now expected sooner than previously anticipated.
A little more than half of MoCo is in the 2-3” range, with the rest in the 1-2” range. The “reasonable worst case scenario” map has most of MoCo at 4-5 inches. with the rest at 3-4 inches.
The advisory, per the National Weather Service:
WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM TO 3 PM EST
* WHAT…Snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 2 to 4 inches. Northwest winds will gust around 45 to 55 mph.
* WHERE…Portions of central and northern Maryland as well as portions of northern Virginia.
* WHEN…From 6 AM to 3 PM EST Saturday. Rain will change to snow between 5 and 7 AM early Saturday morning. The steadiest snow will be through midday.
* IMPACTS…Plan on slippery road conditions. Gusty winds could bring down tree branches.
* ADDITIONAL DETAILS…Visibility may be reduced to below one- half mile at times.
Slow down and use caution while traveling.
When venturing outside, watch your first few steps taken on
steps, sidewalks, and driveways, which could be icy and slippery, increasing your risk of a fall and injury.